Wednesday 26 June 2013

June Round Up

Here are some other things I've eaten over the last few weeks which I don't feel warrant posts to themselves really, and I'm liking the recent round up from April/May, feels a bit like having a clear out so here you have it for this month...

Mama Wangs
Straight from the off here I'm going to rave about these noodles.  In my opinion, the pork cheek biang biang noodles coming out of this little street food stall in various locations across the city, is one of the finest dishes London currently has to offer.


I bloody knew I'd love it, and I do.  I've been to Harringay Market twice in 3 weekends to get my fix and I'll be back, whenever they are there.  The assembling of the dish is theatrical, the noodles hand pulled while you wait, flash boiled then combined with the carrot, cucumber and coriander mix, chilli oil, dried chilli, sesame, cumin seeds and topped with the pork cheeks and crispy crackling.  Once I've eaten it, I literally cannot stop thinking about it for hours.  It's that good.  Fiery and fragrant, you need these in your lives. 


I've also tried the cumin lamb but they weren't quite as satisfying as the pork version.  Still amazing though.  Mama Wangs also host supperclubs and various events, check their website for details of the next dinner.  They're really sweet people and are serving up something quite unique.  See, raving about it and to think, I once claimed to not like Chinese food, I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself.

Cookhouse Joe
One lunchtime I darted up Berwick St from my office to meet Art at the reasonably new Cookhouse Joe, another chicken restaurant.  I must confess I've not really gotten involved in the recent chicken revolution, I do really want to try Wishbone, but Brixton is a bit out of my way.  I must rectify it and get down there.  The thing Cookhouse Joe has going for it is value for money, and proximity to my work I suppose.  Also, it's rotisserie chicken, not fried.


For just £6 you get half a chicken with fries and a side at lunchtime, making this only 5p more than a takeaway salad from Vital Ingredient.  An absolute steal and quite delicious actually.  I opted for the salad but corn or slaw sides are also available.  Staff were cheery and there's an upstairs seating area so plenty of room, anyway it's not too busy,  yet.  You also get a choice of sauce, garlic, yoghurt or chilli. 

Savage Salads
Another food stall find, Savage Salads are at Berwick Street Market 3 days a week through the 'summer' months.  Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday they can be found outside The Endurance.  Salads come in box or pitta, an ever changing, seasonal menu and you get a bit of everything for £4 in a pitta, or £5 in a box.  I was 5p short when I stopped by and they sorted me out anyway, because they're nice. 


On the day the selection included a brilliant panzanella,  a red cabbage and parsley number, a red quinoa salad flecked with pomegranate seeds and a bulghar wheat and mushroom thing.  All come served on a bed of leaves and topped with grilled chicken, halloumi and garlic sauce, if you wish.  I wolfed it all down back at my desk.  A great new addition to the market.



Meatlover


John, Sue and I went to the Meatlover soft launch @ Filthy McNasty's in Angel a couple of weekends ago, bouyed by the idea of 50% off of a meat feast.  It was good value but not mindblowing, we went for the large meatlover to share between the 3 of us, the ribs were excellent, tender and sticky, really nice work. 


I had high hopes for the fried chicken, based on pictures I'd seen, but was disappointed by what we were served, it lacked flavour and tasted like old oil.  The pulled pork and the brisket were good, but the ribs really were the highlight.  The side of mac & cheese was textbook and the fries were great.  Cabbage and bacon was a token green order.  We shared the cheesecake and the strawberry shortcake for afters and it all came to about £30, until we added our bar bill, drinks were not 50% off.

To be honest, I won't go back, but they're open until the pub gets a revamp and becomes The Fountain, a respectable gastropub, this is McNasty's bowing out.  Open through the 'summer'.

Mama Wangs
Various Locations
Often Harringay Market
South Harringay School
N4
10/10

Cookhouse Joe
55 Berwick St
Soho
W1
7/10

Cookhouse Joe on Urbanspoon

Savage Salads
Various locations inc
Berwick Street Market
Soho
W1
7/10

Meatlover
Filthy McNasty's
68 Amwell St
EC1R
5/10

Filthy Macnasty's on Urbanspoon

No comments: