Thursday 21 June 2012

Mishkin's

Russell Norman is a genius.  But you already knew that.  Everybody knows it.  His recent Bond style cover of the OFM mag confirms it.  Likely to irk a few I imagine, but good on him I say.

I visited Mishkin's a few weeks ago, having been eager to try it since my return from Oz in December.  Mainly because of this bad boy - the Reuben on rye, a delectable sandwich of pastrami, sauerkraut, russian dressing and Swiss cheese.


Some helpful twitter advise prompted me to get the double sized patty slider (said Kang) and the knish (advised Emily) and they didn't disappoint.

The steamed beef patty (x2) with swiss cheese was immense.  I foolishly left it to the end of the feast and it totally beat me.  Tasted seriously amazing though, and the patty was so juicy.  Just look at those onions!


The knish I tackled pretty much single handedly, filled with chicken, leek and tarragon served with a creamy mushroom sauce.  Mmmmmmm.  My companions who tried it noted that the tarragon flavour was a little overpowering but I actually thought it was spot on.  Having never had one before, the humble knish has shot way up in my estimations.


I ordered some market greens to go along with the pastry bomb thinking there should be some obligatory green, and they were lovely.

Having also tried some of Art's mac and cheese, I'd say I prefer the Spuntino version but they're very different beasts.  I had a meatball too, these change daily and I forget what these were but aren't they pretty?


I've loved every one of Norman's establishments, having tried all but Polpetto, which is currently awol, soon to open at a new address in Soho, relocating from it's previous digs above the French House.  Perfect excuse to go, roll on August!

Can't remember how much I paid, think it was around £40 a head, with some gimlets and cynar gin fizz' to wash it all down with.  A right bargain.  Can't wait to revisit.

Mishkin's
25 Catherine St
WC2B 5JS
9/10

Mishkin's on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Corporate Cooking Classes London said...

You had me at 'Reuben on rye'. But then I saw the double sized patty slider and the knish and now I am seriously feeling the sweet pang of hunger. Just delish!

Boo said...

Even in my crappy iphone pictures, the food looks every bit as good as it tasted. I want to go back NOW!